Last night we discussed the book Not without my Daughter. This book club choice was great because there are so many levels to this story. It is based on actual events in Betty Mahmoody's life and her family, specifically involving her child and Iranian husband. She married Moody who was a doctor, and they have one daughter together and a seemingly normal life. Yet, the extreme ups and downs of Moody put Betty on edge during their entire marriage. He gets in trouble at work and in a nutshell they end up booking flights to go to Iran to be with Moodys family. It is only supposed to be a 2 week trip. She thinks once she gets over there he won't let her and her daughter Mahtob come back. She has doubts about what to do. I had major doubts about this when I read it. The first thing that comes to mind is no. Do not get on that plane. Here is an interesting fact while you contemplate why I say no way to the plane. Once she married this Iranian man, or once married to an Iranian man, you are Iranian regardless of the fact that you may not have ever been there. He now has control over you and your children and if you leave you have no rights to them. Ever. If he dies, his family now controls you... Once she got on that plane and landed. That was it. He was keeping her there and her fear was now a reality. Her next move, was how to get back home with her daughter. Another interesting fact was how many people wanted to help her but not the child. How the Swiss Embassy literally stayed Swiss. How when women got together with just women, they didn't have to wear the head wraps that smelled ick, how when giving birth one could see all that going on-but not the woman's actual head because that would be wrong, how little things like children falling from balconies was an everyday occurrence that occurred to no one to fix, how the hotel wouldn't let her stay without a stamp in her passport, and how the US Embassy guy said to come back in the morning because they weren't open at 2 am the heartless git...Alright, so that was more than one interesting fact. One my favorite quotes from the book was "God doesn't always answer our prayers the way we want them answered." How often have we heard that and how true is that. It took courage for her to not give up or give in and with a little more patience it would come. I think there were times when she could have been more agreeable just to help her own self out however, I don't judge because it would be hard to know what to do. She is in a country with no rights as a woman and around others who hate Americans. I'll say it again. Don't get on the plane if you are having bad thoughts about it. I'm just saying. SPOILER: After a year and half she does get out with her daughter. Through a last minute decision Moody has to make she is able to get free. I won't tell how and I won't give more away. You can read or watch the movie for yourself. It is a long hard road for them to get away, but rewarding to be FREE. God bless America for sure.
Another interesting fact, my mom was going to name me America. My daughter's middle name is.
My final interesting fact before I wrap up, Moody made a documentary of his own called Without my Daughter. A his side of the tale that paints an entirely different side to it all. Interesting indeed.
Ok, great choice, good read, well done Rebecca. Until next time, Happy Reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment