Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pixie Dust

If I had some would it make all my posts I was supposed to write appear?
Here's to trying...Wait for it....No? 
Fine. -Then, here's to procrastination!
1.  Healer.  By Carol Cassella.  We read this awhile back.  My memory eludes me.  I admit I had to google it to be refreshed and even then it's sketchy.  So, if someone wants to make a comment about it.  I'm all for it.  This is what I remember.  A doctor lady and her husband and daughter have tons of money and her husband is doing great with some research thing and then it goes bad and he has to secretly take money from accounts that the wife doesn't know is happening.  They just always have money it doesn't occur to her to look.  And it does't occur to him to tell her his problems even though they are married and should.  Anyway, they go broke and somebody dies.  And they live on a farm I think.  Pathetic of me, I know.  
2.  Letters in the Jade Dragon Box. By Gale Sears.  We have read one of her books before.  This one is much lighter and refreshing for a serious topic.  Historical Fiction.  A girl goes to live with her uncle because her mother is in communist China and cannot get out because of the rules of the tyrannical leader.  She does get paintings from her mother and a letter and I remember that we all commented on that you could see the paintings even though there were no actual pictures in the book.  I like getting a visual like that from a story.  The paintings and letters tell a story of her mother's life and why she chose to give the girl up.  They were smuggled in by friends.  The girl and uncle cherish these stories and it brings a closer bond between them which is sweet.  He is very hard on himself for choices he made and takes it out on the girl.  It does have a good ending.  I know my reviews aren't so hot right now.
3.  Kisses from Katie.  By Katie Davis.  I will end with the last book we just read.  No excuses to be too pathetic.  I love Katie and her strength.  Each of us has a calling and purpose whether it is big or small.  We can change lives one at a time and it doesn't have to be all at once in this grand gesture of a moment.  Katie who is 22 now, has gone to Africa to start a ministry and help children with education and the community with health and love of God.  She adopted 14 girls, 13 now since one had to go back.  She is amazing.  Her heart is open and full of love.  Unconditional love.  Everyone calls her mommy, and she knows when her own girls call her that.  I think her story is uplifting.  It gave us all little things we could relate to, take with us, try better at, and open our minds to.  She starts out by saying that Jesus wrecked her life, but only to her do more and be more.  Her faith is outstanding.  Simple faith.  Do what you can, be all that you were meant to be, be loving, be an example, be open, be forgiving, be patient, be able to accept, be with God.  Those are some minor things to take away from her book.  She has a blog if you want to look it up.  It's kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com.
Those are my updated reviews.  I will have more coming up.  Until then, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment