Last night we discussed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I believe we all loved it and felt drawn to the story and characters within. They were made to be believable, likable, witty, and real. We liked the letter format it was written in, though hesitation from one who read "dear mr. henshaw" (and did not enjoy those letters), and me who had to start it about 20 times so I could understand who these people were! Some thought perhaps a little more romance was needed. Isola was well liked with her quirky ways as was Juliet. We thought she was so tender to help with Kit and take on that mother role. Her sensitivity towards the town and her efforts to make them friends were tenderhearted. We liked Elizabeth who was ever present. Eben and Amelia. We loved the town, the feel, the possibility that these people could be real. It was interesting to find that the author's niece was the one to finish the book. We wondered about editing and how that all played out.
Some favorite quotes:
Isola "I liked to die where I stood"
Juliet "She was showing me her treasures, Sophie-her eyes did not leave my face once. We were both so solemn, and I, for once, didn't start crying"
Juliet "Dawsey's barn is exceedingly clean. He also stacks his hay beautifully. I believe I am becoming pathetic"
Thanks for checking in to the Guernsey. Next month (April) we will be checking out "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. Don't forget it will be held at Teri's house on the 15th, which is the third Thursday, just to confuse everyone!! Until then, Happy Reading!
Friday, March 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment